STEVE DONOUGHUE MBA
Gambling Industry Strategist and Communications Specialist
Tel: +44 (0)207 502 2067 / +44 (0)7824 324334
With a deep knowledge of the gaming industry world-wide and extensive political and regulatory experience, I have been a consultant to numerous international gaming companies advising them on a wide range of issues from penetrating new markets to political strategy. Under my guidance I have ensured that projects not only comply with legislative requirements, often in a changing political landscape, but are commercially successful.
I have recently been a Special Adviser to the British Parliament’s Culture, Media & Sport Select Committee inquiry into gambling. I am currently an associate consultant with KPMG, PKF and FTI consulting firms on gambling industry issues and I also run the Secretariat of the Parliamentary All Party Betting & Gaming Group. In February 2013 I shall start being a part time PhD student at the University of Westminster researching the history of the Gambling Act 2005. I am also on the Steering Committee of the Social Gaming Association
December 2007 to date Chief Executive Officer www.gamblingconsultant.co.uk
Over the past 5 years I have been a consultant to a number of leading companies and industry bodies including:
- McKinsey & Co. - advising on a big 3 bookmaker's mid-term strategy
- The Lotteries Council - advising the trade association for Britain's society lotteries
- The National Casino Industry Forum – advising the trade association for British land-based casinos
- The States of Jersey - advising on developing their e-gaming proposition
- The Gordon Moody Association (a problem gambling charity) - acting as an interim CEO
- Finsbury PLC - undertaking a comprehensive study on the future of gambling politics in the UK
- Permira, a private equity fund – advising on their involvement in a gaming project
- Littlewoods - advising on their plans to acquire the Tote
- William Hill Group - political adviser to the CEO and assisting with international development
- The Mecom Group - a year-long project finding them a successful online gambling partnership.
May 2007 – December 2007 Managing Consultant, PKF (UK) LLP
I developed a gambling practice in the private sector part of the management consultancy arm of this accountancy firm. I set up the basics for the practice, initiating a successful monthly newsletter, a series of articles in the trade press and developed, hosted and presented workshops for local authorities, throughout the UK, who were due to have the ability to licence casinos. Before I could develop the consultancy further, I was lured away by the opportunity to advise the CEO of William Hill (see above).
July 2006 - April 2007 VP of Gambling Strategy, Cantor Gaming & Wagering
I was responsible for the strategic development of all of the different Cantor Fitzgerald gambling businesses. This included white labelling online casino & poker (Cantor Gaming), Spread betting (Cantor Index) and mobile gaming (Cantor G & W).
March 2001 - December 2005 Chief Executive Officer, The Gambling Consultancy Ltd
I founded The Gambling Consultancy Limited in 2001 and rapidly established it as the premier strategic management consultancy to the gambling industry in the UK. Over its five years of operation, I advised a large number of firms in the following categories:
Internet based projects
- Sportingbet.com, bet365.com, Premierbet, Grand Casino de Mallorca, Orbis, Columbia Exchange Systems
Networked Gaming Terminals
- Gaming & Entertainment Technology, Leisure Link, KPMG
Land-based gaming opportunities
- Crown Casino, The Halcrow Group, TBI airport operators, Candover Partners, Permira Advisers, Accenture, Red Sea Group, Arena Leisure
Political lobbying projects
- Ladbrokes, the Association of British Bookmakers, Mitchells & Butler, Betdaq.
2000 – 2001 Development Manager, Sonera Smart Trust
Smart Trust was the world’s leading developer of Wireless Public Key Infrastructure security for mobile phones. My role was to sell this technology to gambling operators worldwide, as it enabled them to securely offer gambling products over mobile phones using GSM, WAP, GRS or UMTS technology.
1997-2000 Consultant, KPMG
I was responsible for all gambling related projects handled by KPMG in the UK and advised on many overseas projects including:
- The British Horseracing Board on their Financial Plan
- The Gaming Board for Great Britain on casino regulation
- The Home Office on options for the privatisation of the Tote
- Littlewoods Leisure on setting up Bet Direct
- Deutsche Morgan Grenfell on their £280 million acquisition of Coral
- The People’s Lottery in their bid for the National Lottery licence
- Business in Sport and Leisure on their major study into the value of UK gambling industry
Other Industry Experience
Regular chair and speaker at global industry conferences (including G2E Las Vegas, Atlantic City, the European Interactive Gaming conference, the International Casino Operators Forum, the European Casino Summit, the Betting Shop Show, the Mobile Gaming Forum and his own very successful Gambling Industry Forums.
Member of the Society for the Study of Gambling
Adviser to the Gerson Lehrman Group’s Council of Advisers, advising analysts and brokers about gambling issues.
Regular commentator on gambling issues on radio, TV and in print across the world.
Completed the Nevada Reno University’s Casino Professionals Executive Development Program
Appeared as an expert witness at a Public Planning Inquiry, and reported on the gambling industry of Hong Kong and Macau as part of a UK Government Trade Mission.
Judged a number of industry awards including the E-Gaming Review Awards
1996-97 University of Salford Centre for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming
Post-graduate research into the Superbet sponsored by Ladbrokes and the Tote.
Conducted the first research into the size of the UK gambling industry for the Industry Forum. This work was adopted by the UK government as part of their official statistics.
1993-94 Durham University Business School Masters in Business Administration
Dissertation on the Marketing of Racecourses in the UK
1990-93 University of Northumbria BA (Hons) Political Science